Characteristics of Chinchilla Fur
A unique trait of chinchilla fur is that from each follicle, up to 60 hairs can sprout. They are so fine, that you have to submerge your fingertip in a distance of 2 cm until you realize that you are touching something. The density of hair can reach up to 190 hair per square mm. The length of the guard hair is 2-3 cm and they make 25 per cent of the fur, while the rest 75 per cent consists of the underfur. The diameter of each hair is extremely fine and thus chinchilla coats are lightweight, supple and have a high insulation index. Furthermore, the hair is always perpendicular to the skin, contrary to most of other fur types where the hair tends to lay flat or more parallel. The skin is very fine as well and has minimal elasticity and minimal tolerance to water. Chinchillas are endemic to the Andes and have evolved in an extremely dry climate.
Chinchilla Fur Coat Colors
The natural chinchilla fur pelt, in the dorsal area, has a middle dark brown (almost black) central stripe followed by bluish gray hair and the ventral area is white. While the ventral area of the pelt is the thinnest and most sensitive one, many fur makers use it because it adds up to the unique beauty of a chinchilla coat. Chinchillas can also come in white, violet, beige or sapphire but in smaller quantities.
A chinchilla coat can also come in bleached beige, tan or light brown or it can come in artificial colors with a dyeing process. The most common colors in the market are red, green and blue, yet any color desired by the customer is feasible.
How Much is A Chinchilla Coat Worth?
Chinchilla coats are expensive due to the high demand and low supply in the market. The finest chinchilla coats are made of pelts coming from South America. Argentinian chinchilla is considered as the top of the lot. The past 20 years several chinchilla farms have been created in Baltic sea countries, in central and eastern Europe. Modern farming techniques and climate have yielded excellent results.
The quality characteristics that determine a chinchilla coat’s value are
- Color clarity (no stains or yellowish hair)
- Density of fur (top lot chinchilla coats should not reveal their white skin when hair is blown)
- Guardhair quality. If the guardhair tips protrude only on the sides of the pelt, then it is considered of poor quality
- Texture. Streaks, swirls or bald spots that break the even and smooth pattern reduce the value of a chinchilla coat
- Chinchillas with a darker and broader central stripe are classified as black velvet and they are the most expensive ones.
A waist length chinchilla fur coat can start from 2500 usd and reach up to 25.000 usd.
Chinchilla Coat Stitching Patterns
The most common and elegant pattern to the authors opinion is chinchilla coats with the pelts cut in half and then stitched horizontally. You can have also whole pelts stitched horizontally. Diagonal looks more pleasing to the eye and is more expensive because larger more valued pelts are required. Between the pelts,materials such as cotton, leather or synthetic fabric is placed. Furthermore, a fur maker will stich a mesh made of cotton on the hairless side in order to reinforce the delicate skins and prevent tears.
Chinchilla Fur Care
It is true that a chinchilla coat is very delicate and prone to tears. In addition, it is a fur that you do not want to have it soaked or wearing it in the rain. Also, you should avoid hanging it in a place exposed to the sun as the white parts will turn yellow. Wearing a chinchilla coat while driving is not advisable since the hair is delicate and will rub between you and the seat. Bags with straps should be avoided for the same reason.
Of course, chinchilla is a noble fur. The impact it has and the image of fine taste that it projects is huge and counters the durability drawbacks.
How to Wear a Chinchilla Coat?
A chinchilla coat is a high-end fur and as a rule of thumb it should be reserved for special occasions, night and formal events or in chic cafes and restaurants. However, a vest could be used more casually.
Here are some basic rules that will serve as guidelines.
- Stylists recommend against striking colors when it comes to clothing. Regarding jewelry it is very hard to get away with faux bijoux. People will notice and this can ruin a perfect image. Too many accessories and intense make up will make you look tasteless. A chinchilla coat is a luxury piece that can stand on its own.
- Short or cropped coats are best suited for younger ladies. Tight high pants or miniskirts will look good. As for shoes you should opt in for boots or heels
- Medium length coats should be matched with dresses or skirts. Make sure that they are not longer than the coat.
- Full length coats can be worn with tight pants or dresses.
- If you want a headband or hat, then it should be made of chinchilla fur
- Bags. Choose an expensive leather bag with minimalistic style and medium or small size. A bag with handles rather straps is a better idea.
- Chinchilla vest should not be matched with jeans or blouses. Wearing them over a leather jacket in cold temperatures is allowed.
In terms of design, chinchilla fur coats come in a variety of styles. Costumers in colder countries prefer longer and hooded versions or waist length garments. Warmer climates seem to favor vests, etols or the extremely chic cropped waist and sleeve boleros and short jackets, which allow to showcase jewelry, bracelets and watches. Also, chinchilla fur collars, cuffs and trim make a great match with black mink fur coats.
Chinchilla fur is highly versatile. A vest can be worn casually. It will never go without turning heads. On the other hand it is a red carpet fur type, and is the fur type of choice in formal events, in VIP meetings, in cocktail parties, weddings, cultural events. It remains one of Hollywood’s favorite furs. Modern day royalty and aristocracy still cherish it as one of their favorites. Chinchilla has a strong appeal and impact. It is a display of success, prestige, charm and status. In Skandinavik Fur , quiet often we receive custom orders from actresses and opera singers , requesting specifically for chinchilla for their premieres . Even in unexpected countries such as the Arabian Emirates, we receive requests from high profile citizens, for custom chinchilla garments for their upcoming social events with the royal family.
Chinchilla vs Rex Rabbit
Although rex rabbit is a quality fur type (unlike the common rabbit) it will never be able to reach the distinct and luxurious look of a genuine chinchilla coat. Dyeing techniques have evolved and a rex rabbit can imitate color wise the real thing. For more information on how to tell the difference between them , go ahead and read our comprehensive article
Chinchilla Men’s Coats
A hooded chinchilla bomber jacket is one of the most popular choices when it comes to men’s coats. You most certainly have seen a rapper or two wearing one in their video clips. It is cool and the swag meter hits the roof.